Lifting Block Hook Inspection
Crosby Recommends as a Minimum:
- A visual inspection for cracks, nicks, wear, gouges and deformation as part of a comprehensive documented inspection program, should be conducted by trained personnel in compliance with the schedule i B30.10.
- For hooks used in frequent load cycles or pulsating load, or exposed to corrosive conditions (Road Salt, etc.) the hook and thread should be periodically inspected by Magnetic Particle or Dye Penetrant.
Lubrication of Hook Bearings:
Anti Friction — Every 14 days for frequent swiveling; every 45 days for infrequent swiveling.
Bronze Thrust Bushing or No Bearing — Every 16 hours for frequent swiveling; every 21 days for infrequent swiveling.
ASME B30.10 Inspection Frequency
- Frequent Inspection– visual examinations by the operator or other designated person.
- normal service – monthly
- heavy service – weekly to monthly
- severe service – daily or weekly
- special or infrequent service as authorized by a qualified person – before and after each occurrence, with records of the operation.
- Period Inspection– visual inspections by an appointed person making records of apparent external conditions to provide the basis for continuing evaluation.
- normal service – equipment in place – yearly (definition: service, normal – service that involves operating at less than 85 percent of rated load except for isolated instances.)
- heavy service – as in normal service, unless external conditions indicate that disassembly should be done to permit detailed inspection – yearly (definition: service, heavy service that involves operating 85 percent to 100 percent of rated as a regular specified procedure.)
- severe service – as in heavy service, except that the detailed inspection may show the need for use of nondestructive type of testing – quarterly (definition: service, severe – heavy service coupled with abnormal operating conditions.)
For additional information refer to ASME B30.10 And OSHA 1910.179 Overhead Gantry Cranes
Load Limits Contents
Questions? Give Us A Call!
Or fill out the form below.