Alloy Chain Sling Warnings
Rated Load = Rated Capacity = Working Load Limit
Can fail if damaged, misused or overloaded. Inspect before use. Use only if trained. Observe rated load. Avoid sharp edges. DEATH OR INJURY can occur from improper use or care.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR CARE, USE, INSPECTION, AND REPAIR.
- Store on a rack in a clean, dry place.
- Oil prior to prolonged storage.
- Do not anneal (temper) alloy chain, connecting links or hook. Hot galvanizing requires chain manufacturer advice.
- Check weight of load.
- Check sling rated load for type of lift, angle of loading (see load angle chart on the following page).
- Avoid twists, knots or kinks.
- Center load on base (bowl) of hook unless hook is designed for point loading.
- Balance load.
- Avoid jerking load.
- Be alert for snagging of load.
- Maintain load control.
- Pad sharp corners.
- Keep load off sling.
- Avoid dragging sling over rough surfaces and from under the load.
- Stand clear of the load at all times.
- No person allowed beneath the load.
- Persons are not to ride on sling or load.
- For use in temperatures over 800°F, contact the manufacturer.
- When shortening chain, use only the manufacturer’s recommended alloy components.
- Before use, check for excessive wear:
Chain Size Max. Wear
9/32 in. 3/64 (.046)
3/8 in. 5/64 (.078)
1/2 in. 7/64 (.109)
5/8 in. 9/64 (.140)
Chain Size Max Wear
3/4 in. 5/32 (.158)
7/8 in. 11/64 (.171)
1 in. 3/16 (.187)
1 1/4 in. 1/4 (.250)
Look for bent or twisted links and cracks, nicks, gouges in chain, master links, coupling links and hooks. Look for heat damage, weld spatter, link stretch, increased hook throat opening, latch missing or damaged (if hook so equipped). If excessive wear or damage is present, if rated load tag is missing or illegible, do not use the sling. Repair or replace it. Periodic inspections must be recorded annually for normal service; monthly/quarterly for severe service. Only chain manufactures or other qualified persons perform periodic inspections.
- Any hazardous condition disclosed by an inspection shall require repair by chain manufacturer or other qualified person.